Transition to Kindergarten
Welcome to the Kindergarten Information Hub
Alliance for Kids is serving as the new hub for kindergarten registration information.
- FOR FAMILIES: We’re collecting information from school districts in El Paso County and will provide updates here for parents and families. To assist families in determining readiness for kindergarten and steps to prepare, additional sections below cover a wide range of topics, and we invite you to visit FamilySPEAK.org/kindergarten for full details on this important transition period.
- EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION PROGRAMS: We have information on this page to help early childhood education programs support their families as children transition from their program, whether it’s a center or a family child care home, to a kindergarten setting.
Kindergarten Registration Dates for 2021-22
School Choice Enrollment
School choice enrollment provides options for parents and below you will find extra information on this, as well as a “School District Locator” link. At its most basic, school choice means families/students can request to attend any public school in Colorado for free, even across school district lines. “Home” schools (elementary, middle, and high school) are based on address, and families are always guaranteed enrollment in their home schools. To attend a school other than the home schools, families must apply for a permit during open enrollment periods. To determine home schools and the district they are located in, use the green button. For more information on types of schools, factors to consider, how families apply, how schools grant choice “permits,” and what do to if your permit isn’t granted, read this article from Chalkbeat.
The links below are for the registration page for all EPC school districts.
- Harrison School District 2
- Widefield School District 3
- Fountain-Fort Carson School District 8
- Colorado Springs School District 11
- Cheyenne Mountain District 12
- Manitou Springs School District 14
- Academy School District 20
- Ellicott School District 22
- Peyton School District 23
- Hanover School District 28
- Lewis-Palmer School District 38
- Falcon School District 49
- Edison School District 54JT
- Miami-Yoder School District 60
- Calhan School District RJ1
- Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind
- Cripple Creek Victor RE-1 (Teller County)
- Woodland Park RE-2 (Teller County)
- Fremont School District RE-2 (Fremont County)
- Big Sandy School District 100J (Elbert County)
For a listing of all area schools, click here for the 2021 Gazette Education Guide.
School and District-Specific Information
- Harrison School District 2 is hosting a Kindergarten Sneak Peek the week of March 8th. The event allows parents (and their incoming kindergarten student) to visit the school where they wish to enroll. Registration/enrollment will occur on site at the school. Postcards with both English and Spanish text have been mailed to all households in the district and choice enrollments are being accepted.
- Fountain-Fort Carson School District 8 will be holding a virtual Kindergarten Round-Up on March 8th. Click HERE for the flyer and visit FFC8.org for school meeting links.
- Lewis-Palmer School District 38 Kindergarten Promo Video (includes links to elementary schools)
- The Classical Academy (D20) Enrollment Application (Half-Day Program)
- Widefield School District 3 Kindergarten Round-Up Event is May 7th. Open enrollment deadline is February 26.
- Registration for kindergarten in Colorado Springs School District 11 begins March 1. Registration takes place at the individual schools. All District 11 elementary schools offer free full-day kindergarten. Call your neighborhood school to get more information.
- Cheyenne Mountain School District 12: Beginning Tuesday, February 16, 2021, District 12 resident parents of students who will be 5-years-old by October 1, 2021, may pick up a kindergarten registration packet at the
District 12 Administration Office, 1775 LaClede Street, or call (719) 475-6100 to request a packet by mail. The annual Kindergarten Enrollment will take place March 3rd and March 4th in the Community Room of the District 12 Administration Office. Click HERE for links to schools.
- Manitou Springs School District 14 in-district priority school choice window determination is February 26. All families open enrollment window is January 19 – March 31.
- Academy School District 20 kindergarten registration is open. For links to all schools with kindergarten, click HERE.
- Ellicott Elementary now enrolling – click HERE for details.
- Peyton Elementary is now enrolling – click HERE for details.
- Falcon School District 49 kindergarten is now enrolling – click HERE for details and guidelines for in-person registration. Students must be five by September 15th.
FamilySPEAK Offers Kindergarten Transition Resources
Alliance for Kids has a separate website especially for families and we invite you to share this site with the families of children in your care! In addition to kindergarten transition information, below are some of the many topics families can find on our site:
The Role of Early Childhood Programs
Early childhood programs act as the bridge between preschool and kindergarten and are an essential resource for families preparing to navigate this transition. In addition to several sections below, here are suggestions to help your program implement practices to ensure families have the information they need and that children are ready for this big transition. The most important thing is that children who believe in their own abilities have been found to be more successful in school.
Meeting with parents:
- Address their concerns as best you can, empower the parents to act as advocates for their children
- Remind parents that they play a critical role in this transition.
Resources to provide:
- District information and upcoming orientation dates (see links below)
- Community events (Alliance for Kids shares these on Facebook – call us if you need details.)
- Provide families a summary of their child in a school setting to take to the new teacher (e.g., child’s strengths, areas of improvement, known triggers – both positive and negative)
Tips for discussing kindergarten with families and children:
- Never talk negatively about moving to kindergarten
- Keep your emotions in check
- Encourage the children’s excitement
- Allow children to express their feelings
- Share examples of how kindergarten is the same and how it is different from preschool
Activities to encourage readiness:
- Create tools children can use when missing their family (e.g., a laminated photo of their family, or a book with pictures, a book of emotions, photo of the children the child may know in the class)
- Focus on self-help skills with the children so children are set up to be as independent as possible
- Try to take several tours of the “new school” or encourage parents to visit their options in person
- Ask to share parent contact information with other parents going to the same schools
- Encourage parents to set up play dates and get to know other families
Articles on Kindergarten Transition to share with families:
The Benefits of Kindness
Learn more about the benefits of incorporating kindness into your program:
- The Benefits of Kindness and Social Emotional Learning in the Classroom | Ripple Kindness Project
- 8 Reasons To Teach Kindness in Schools | Teach Thought
- Kindness Health Facts
Books about Transitioning to Kindergarten
Read books together about moving on to kindergarten can help prepare children for the next step in their education: