Finding Quality Child Care
Choosing Quality Child Care Matters.
Colorado Shines is your online resource for finding quality child care near you.
- Visit ColoradoShines.com.
Colorado Shines gives parents and caregivers peace of mind as they search for licensed, quality child care and preschool programs. It offers information including location, hours, licensing status and, most importantly, the Colorado Shines quality rating of eligible programs. By engaging in this free process, families like yours can find the best early learning fit to get your children off to a strong start. Colorado Shines will help you identify elements of high quality child care and the importance of choosing quality. When using the “search” feature, it will ask for your home or work address. However, ONLY enter your ZIP code.
- Call the Colorado Shines Child Care Resource & Referral Line: 877-338-2273
This FREE custom referral line is available to help find early care and education providers in El Paso, Teller, and Elbert Counties that meet your family’s needs. Individuals calling this number will be greeted by the Colorado Shines Child Care Referral at Mile High United Way.
- Text childcarereferrals to 898-211.
- Mile High United Way now has an Intake Form available for families looking for child care.
- Contact Alliance for Kids. If you have more questions about quality child care, please contact Tina Fennell (719.291.8112) or Geanina Brown (719.651.3484).
How to view licensing or rating details:
- Visit ColoradoShines.com
- Under For Families, click on How to find quality child care.
- From the menu on the left, click Search for a Program.
- In the blue area at the top, enter the program name for the site you area considering and click Search.
- If the program that appears is the one you are considering, click View Details. For example, some centers have multiple locations (e.g. Kindercare).
- The screen that appears will provide their license number, Colorado Shines rating, CCCAP acceptance, and much more.
Financial Assistance Programs
Colorado Child Care Assistance Program (CCCAP)
Colorado’s Office of Early Childhood offers child care subsidies for families who need help affording quality child care. CCCAP is a subsidy to help families that are homeless, working, searching for work or in school find low-income child care assistance. Families that are enrolled in the Colorado Works Program can also use CCCAP services.
Applying for CCCAP
For eligibility and applications, visit the Colorado PEAK website.
Resources for Military Families Seeking Child Care
Military/DoD Child Care Assistance is offered through Child Care Aware.
When child care slots on post are full, military families may access the following resources to find child care:
- Call Child Care Aware at 1-800-424-2246 and press option #3.
- They have a list of child care providers and centers that offer military discounts for off-post child care slots.
- Visit the Child Care Aware website for further information.
- Families that do not qualify for a military discount should call the Colorado Shines Child Care Resource & Referral Line: 1-877-338-2273
- If you have more questions about finding quality child care, please contact Alliance for Kids: Tina Fennell (719.291.8112) or Geanina Brown (719.651.3484).
Receive The EC News
The EC News publishes twice a month and is an early childhood resource for providers, parents, and community partners.